Cercar en aquest blog

Compte enrere

2 d’oct. 2017

Reply to the Taoiseach

***** Click underneath on "Més informació" for my reply *****

Dear Taoiseach, 100 years ago would you have been happy with "Spain will not recognise result of Irish Referendum, respects courts and constitution of the UK, but criticises violence"?

In your tweet, are you saying that you refuse to accept that in spite of everything (info and internet blackouts, helicopters overhead, government officials arrested, Spanish police swooping on firms without a search warrant, smear campaigns, long queues, vicious police attacks and a general sense of imminent threat for days), in spite of all this, I was saying, over two million brave, stubborn Catalans (more than ever in the people's long history) did not state in clear democratic terms that they want Catalonia to become independent?

They, and I, have not yet recovered from one of the most harrowing experiences of our lives. Quite frankly, I'd rather you'd have kept quiet, Mr. Varadkar. I take it as a personal affront.

I honestly hope you will refer to the violation of fundamental human rights in your next statement, which will be due when the thousands of Spanish police transferred here temporarily to control non-existent riots, actually start them. Tomorrow, perhaps. Or later this week. Noone will be happier than I if I have to eat my words.

What you have said (to Spain, of course) will in no way tarnish the admiration so many Catalans feel for the heroes of Ireland's independence. Only last year, tribute was paid to Terence MacSwiney in Barcelona, whose grandson is proud of the doll Catalans gave his orphan mother. 

I'm sure your consul on the spot will have given you much better information than the utter drivel being told by the Spanish government and repeated parrot-style by virtually all the media. I can back this up with plenty of evidence. You can start here. I find it hard to hold back my tears every time I run through the cases. It would be a big step forward if the Spanish government were to respect courts and the Constitution of Spain: I can again send you long lists if you like.

Michael Strubell MA (Oxon), MSc (Lond)

...ooo000ooo...

Please see http://www.osce.org/odihr/347171

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada