Cercar en aquest blog

Compte enrere

11 de febr. 2021

Olaudah Equiano in Barcelona (1759)

A petition is underway in Barclona to name a steeet after Olaudah Equiano (Essaka c. 1745-London 1797), who visited the city, while still a slave, in 1759. 
Here is an extract from his memoirs.
Click here , if need be, to read the selected text.

"After we had cruised here for a short time, we came to Barcelona, a Spanish sea-port, remarkable for its silk manufactures. Here the ships were all to be watered; and my master, who spoke different languages, and used often to interpret for the admiral, superintended the watering of ours. For that purpose he and the officers of the other ships, who were on the same service, had tents pitched in the bay; and the Spanish soldiers were stationed along the shore, I suppose to see that no depredations were committed by our men.

I used constantly to attend my master; and I was charmed with this place. All the time we stayed it was like a fair with the natives, who brought us fruits of all kinds, and sold them to us much cheaper than I got them in England. They used also to bring wine down to us in hog and sheep skins, which diverted me very much. The Spanish officers here treated our officers with great politeness and attention; and some of them, in particular, used to come often to my master's tent to visit him; where they would sometimes divert themselves by mounting me on the horses or mules, so that I could not fall, and setting them off at full gallop; my imperfect skill in horsemanship all the while affording them no small entertainment."

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada